Auckland Point Market

Contents

Auckland Point, or Matangi Awhio was a pa, kainga or seasonal camping site from at least the fifteenth century. Henry Thompson, representative of the Government-appointed Trustees of Native Reserves, recognised the importance of the site to Maori when he selected five one-acre sections at Matangi Awhio (Sections 62-66) as his first five choices of 100 Tenths Reserves in Nelson Town in April 1842.

Auckland Point, Nelson c 1846. Watercolour. Artist unknown. The Nelson ProvinciaAuckland Point, Nelson c 1846. Watercolour. Artist unknown. The Nelson Provincial Museum, Art Collection, 838
Click on image to enlarge

Bishop Selwyn, one of the Trustees, visited Nelson in August-September 1842, and ordered a hostelry to be built on one of the Matangi Awhio sections for Maori visiting for trade; there would be a house for each group of regular visitors to Nelson, with a chapel on the hill above.

"In front of the buildings there will be a low wall with a flat top, for the exposure of goods for sale, viz. potatoes, Indian corn, leeks, kumera (sweet potatoes), fire-wood, and pork; for all which articles the English are almost entirely dependent upon the native supplies."1

An early settler describes Matangi Awhio after completion of the wall:

"Auckland Point with its convenient smooth dry “flat” was the camping ground of curiously interested Maori visitors, men, women and children with their poakas (pigs) tethered awaiting Pakeha’s purchases, their piles of kits or flax leaved baskets of potatoes maize or mussels a new and attractive source of income in bright “Hereni” and “Ihipene”, their bright red and well appointed canoes frequently by dozens moored by the tideway, near to the newly made wall embankment of big boulder stones, was a scene of interest to both races meeting for the first time with conversation essayed under blank difficulties in gesture and pantomime with much amusement and interest."2

Maori digging with ko. The Nelson Provincial Museum, Copy Collection, C2149Maori digging with ko. The Nelson Provincial Museum, Copy Collection, C2149
Click on image to enlarge

A wide range of crops are documented as cultivated for sale by Maori throughout Te Tau Ihu: barley, cabbages, Indian corn or maize, leeks, kumera or sweet potatoes, melons, oats, onions, peaches, pumpkins, taro, turnips and Swedish turnips, water melons, wheat and yams, all of which were probably for sale at Matangi Awhio. The quantities must have been prodigious at times. In September 1843 at Moturoa (Rabbit Island) ‘Two canoes one large and deeply laden passed down the channel today on their way to Nelson’, 3 and in April 1844 Stephens fell in with a ‘… fleet of canoes sixteen in number from Massacre Bay, on a trading excursion to Nelson with pigs, potatoes, fish, etc’.4

The houses planned for groups from Rangitoto (D'Urville), Motueka, Wakapuaka, Te Tai Tapu (Golden Bay) and Hoiere (Pelorus) were built progressively but there do not appear to have ever been more than three; the chapel never eventuated through lack of income from the Reserves.

Auckland Point October 1, 1843. J.W. Barnicoat, The Nelson Provincial Museum, BeAuckland Point October 1, 1843. J.W. Barnicoat, The Nelson Provincial Museum, Bett Collection, 286
Click on image to enlarge

Maori continued to use Matangi Awhio as their base in Nelson for many years – for trade, for attendance at official hearings (the Spain Commission 1844, Magistrate’s Court, Native Land Court), to meet with Government officials, to seek assistance for health problems, and later to obtain employment. Because of poor Maori access to hospital services ‘the Maori houses’ eventually became de facto hospitals, with appalling conditions caused by overcrowding, lack of care, and no control of infectious diseases.

The Maori houses were closed by the Health Department in 1949.

2008 

Sources used in this story

  1. Selwyn, G.A. (1842, September 10) Letter to Mother. Selwyn Letters, Vol.2. MS 340. [held Alexander Turnbull Library]
  2. Stanton,W. Aborigines. Stanton Papers ATL Micro MS 792:209 [NPM]
  3. Barnicoat, J.W. (1841-1902) Journal, 28.2.1842; 26.9.1843. PapersBett Collection, qms. [held Nelson Provincial Museum]
  4. Stephens, Samuel (1844, April 23) Journal Bett Collection. qMS Stephens [NPM]

Want to find out more about the Auckland Point Market ? View Further Sources here.

Do you have a story about this subject? Find out how to add one here.

Comment on this story

Post your comment

Comments

  • Ok, thank's a lot, that's exactly what i was looking for !

    Posted by Sylvain, ()

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

Further sources - Auckland Point Market

Books

Articles

Other

Unpublished Sources

Web Resources