Picton and Blenheim's Literary Institutes

Contents

New Zealand's early European colonists soon established many associations and organisations, including debating and literary societies, libraries and mechanics' institutes.1

Picton
Picton Library. Marlborough Historical Society. Marlborough Museum Archives
Click image to enlarge

Picton was the first town in Marlborough to open a library and reading room. A public meeting was held in the Waitohi Hotel in September 1859, land in the centre of town was granted and building funds were raised.  The building was opened on 19 December 1859.2

Picton Literary Institute, Marlborough Historical Society. Marlborough Museum Archives. Click to enlarge

Officially known as the Picton Literary Institute, it was also referred to as the Mechanic's Institute, as it aimed to provide learning materials for apprentices studying for trade exams.3

Picton Library in 2004.
Click image to enlarge

The Annual meeting of the Institute, held in January 1877, expressed the hope that books ordered from England would attract membership.4

In March 1899, a letter to the Marlborough Express said the Institute was a credit to the town, but the writer complained about younger members "kneeling on forms and shaking tables, making it impossible for a quiet reader to understand anything about him.  Silence should be written up and rigidly enforced."5

The Picton Borough Council agreed to give regular financial support in 1902  (£12/annum) in exchange for building Council Chambers on the Institute's property.  It was not until 1935 that the Council took full control of the library.6

The Picton Library joined the Country Library Service in 1935, ensuring a steady rotation of books.6 The current library (which included Council chambers and offices) built on the original Institute site, was opened by Picton mayor, Tom Bryant on 4 October, 1980.7

Blenheim

At the time of separation from Nelson in 1859, it was decided to establish a library and reading room at "The Beaver ". On January 6, 1860, the Marlborough Press stated the Marlborough Reading Rooms were open from 10am to 9pm. Terms were five shillings/quarter or threepence/visit.8

The rooms soon became a community meeting place with the Marlborough Press, on 2 June 1860, advertising ‘A vocal and instrumental concert consisting of comic and sentimental songs, recitations etc' held every Saturday night at the Blenheim Library.8

This institution did not prosper, but the first annual report of the Blenheim Literary Institute presented by Dr Stephen Muller, Blenheim's resident magistrate,  in January 1867, reported that the Reading Room was well supplied with Colonial and English newspapers, magazines  and 400 books. "Additions could soon be made to the library, if the inhabitants of Blenheim would only show more interest in such a valuable institution."8

Laying the foundation stone. Marlborough Historical Society. Marlborough Museum Archives
Click image to enlarge

A new addition to the Literary Institute was planned, with ‘a handsome and suitable exterior, of commodious proportions, with provision for the making of fires during the winter months'. The addition was opened in March 1880.9

Blenheim Reading Room. Marlborough Historical Society. Marlborough Museum Archives
Click image to enlarge

While subscribers clamoured for new books in 1890, a lack of subscribers meant the committee could not afford to buy them. With land, building, book and furniture assets totalling £1351, the committee closed the Institute on 31 December, 1890. A new committee held a Garden Party to raise funds with which they bought new chairs, repapered the reading room and bought 224 new books. Membership increased to 89 subscribers.10

In 1899, a letter to the editor of the Marlborough Express described the Institute buildings as ‘a standing disgrace'.  He went on to complain about "...the gaping women who assemble there to hear, the news of the day, and continue their gossip well into the hours of the night."11

The Borough Council  discussed taking over the library in 1901, with the Mayor saying: "there was urgent need for a good library and reading room to give those who desired it, and many others who now congregated on the streets at night, an opportunity of reading and studying good literature."12

Blenheim Library, 2009
Click image to enlarge

The foundation stone for a library and reading room was laid on the site of the original Literary Institute in 9 August 1902.  The Blenheim Library committee wound up the affairs of the Institute on 30 September, 1902, and the property was transferred to the Blenheim Borough Council.13

By 1905, the borough had a population of 3500 people and a free Library containing 3500 volumes.14

In 1908, a letter to the editor complained  that the reading rooms were only open three days a week and that "as is usual in country towns the library of fiction is fairly well looked after, the lover of romance being as a rule well catered for."15

A new library was opened on the original Institute and Library site (corner of Alfred and Seymour Streets)  in May 1958.16 The Blenheim Library was relocated to a more spacious building a block away in June 1989. The Marlborough District Libraries took over responsibility for all libraries in the district when the Marlborough District Council was formed in November 1989.

The Council's urban design strategies have reinforced the need for improved library facilities in both Blenheim and Picton and will budget to expand and/or replace both libraries in the next decade.17

2012

Sources used in this story

  1. Hearn, T. (2009) English - Values. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand : http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/english/13
  2. Kelly, H.D. (1976) As High as the Hills, Whatamango Bay: Cape Catley, p 110.
  3. MacDonald, J. (2009, July 24) Seaport News.
  4. Picton Literary Institute (1877, January 17) Marlborough Express, p.6 http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=MEX18770117.2.14
  5. The Picton Institute (1899, March 10) Marlborough Express, p.3 http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=MEX18990310.2.48
  6. Kelly, p. 111
  7. Brehaut, Loreen timeline on Picton Library
  8. Hale, A.M. (1958, May 10) Blenheim Public Library, Marlborough Express
  9. Hale, A.M. (1958, May 24) Blenheim Public Library, Marlborough Express 
  10. Hale, A.M. (1958, June 7) Blenheim Public Library, Marlborough Express
  11. Our literary Institute (1899, May 5) Marlborough Express, p. 3 http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=MEX18990505.2.31
  12. The Literary Institute property(1902, January 20) Marlborough Express, p. 4
  13. Hale, A.M. (1958, June 21) Blenheim Public Library, Marlborough Express.
  14. Civic Institutions. In The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]. http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc05Cycl-t1-body1-d2-d5-d14.html?
  15. Blenheim Literary Institute (1908, February 7) Marlborough Express, p.5. http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=MEX19080207.2.33
  16. Hale, A.M. (1958, June 21) Blenheim Public Library, Marlborough Express
  17. Personal Communication, Glenn Webster, Marlborough District Libraries manager, 6 November, 2012.

Want to find out more about the Picton and Blenheim's Literary Institutes ? View Further Sources here.

Do you have a story about this subject? Find out how to add one here.

Comment on this story

Post your comment

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

Further sources - Picton and Blenheim's Literary Institutes

Books

Articles

Articles in Papers Past:

Web Resources